Thursday, December 15, 2011

Life's certainties...and lack thereof

My out of control Christmas card list this year has taken precedence over my blogging. Also, one of the FEW benefits of being a customer service phone slave is that we don't have much business in December. AKA I am not sitting at a desk bored out of my mind as much this month. I visited my sorority sister Leah in Knoxville last week, and am going to New Orleans next week. Yay for the holidays, jet-setting, and most of all, not working!
Our last New Orleans trip
Anywho, the topic for today is one of my more recent epiphany's. It's so odd to see everyone's never ending finals tweets and facebook status'. Don't get me wrong, I do NOT miss finals week, or school in general for that matter. But it's funny to think about where you thought you would be a semester removed, compared to where you actually end up. 
I remember getting through my final exams, doing the most minimal amount necessary to pull off a B in the class. I harped on how pointless it all was, and how far I was going to go on my own once I just got that diploma under my belt. 
Most of you who know me, know me. I thought I knew myself. I had every move mapped out when it came to my game plan about the future. However, I quickly found out was the one thing you CAN plan on is your plans not turning out the way you envisioned.  
My Dad is a CEO of a healthcare company. Check him out. I'm not lying- he's kind of a big deal. I've always been pretty business and work oriented in result of that. "Career driven" is a better way to put it perhaps? Now looking back I probably should have known better, considering I focused my business degree in hospitality after I burnt myself out of hotels and restaurants in college. My future career was the only thing I was sure of as that crazed college student in the middle of finals. 


I was beyond certain that upon graduation I would immediately move back to DC, have a lucrative job, be great at it, and love it. I mean who wouldn't be jumping to hire ME?!


Granted, the rest was pretty much up in the air, and of course the specifics weren't ironed out. I didn't know where or what this job would be, but I was confident it would happen. Because I deserved it. Because I'm articulate, intelligent, have a great work ethic, and would be sure to exceed any employer's expectation. I've never had to try very hard at anything in life, especially in the work sense, it pretty much came naturally. I always kept a job in college just because I enjoyed it. 
Now 6 months removed I've discovered that's DEFINITELY NOT the case, and I still have no idea what that imaginary dream job is that I aspire to have so badly to make my life "complete."


Now this isn't meant to be a negative post; at least not completely. Ironically, there are several things that ARE present in my life that I wouldn't have bet my life savings on having 6 months ago.
-A nice place to live and roommates I get along with? pshhh wasn't going to count on that one after several failed attempts in that department.
-Friends I can count on, hang out with , depend on, even after being gone all these years eh I left northern Virginia for a reason, I didn't expect more than a few of my original high school closest friends to be in my life
-Actually being in a healthy relationship, and dare I say it, love? considering my track record in that department, and absolute absence of any form of commitment for the past 4 years I'd go with...NO
If you would have told me any of these things were in my future 6 months ago from a Tallahassee classroom window (possibly still drunk racing through my last final...) I would have laughed out loud at you. So perhaps I'm not out there saving lives, making a difference, or taking the business world by storm...yet. I've realized when you don't attempt to map out your life you can't get let down, and therefore you allow life to surprise you (in a good way). 


So the moral is:
Things aren't going to go according to schedule. Somedays everything will just plain suck. But I think that there is a bigger plan, and every time things don't go your way it's just because something bigger and better is coming in the future. So try not to dwell on the disappointments, and appreciate all that you have that you never even saw coming! That's a much more amazing gift in my opinion.


Well, that's all for today. I'm off to Richmond this Saturday for a tacky holiday sweater birthday party bus bonanza, and then New Orleans next week! I guess the dream job can wait a little bit longer... :)


XO and happy holidays!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Design By My Aiken Heart