Monday, September 26, 2011

The Dark Side

Disclaimer: Dr. Phil called in sick today and left me to give my worldly, wise, life knowledge to the public on this fine evening. 


I'm going to start and end this post on a positive note, so I'd like to open with saying that I had a fabulous weekend with my big and little in town. Deanna also attached herself to us all weekend which was GREAT considering she's my longest, closest friend and we've both been on opposite schedules and haven't seen much of each other in the last few months. The weekend consisted of Brad Paisley, bonding, and debauchery in Arlington. Fun was had, memories were made. 
The topic of this week's post isn't necessarily as fun, but on my mind after some recent heart to hearts. It got me thinking, so I mean obviously I decided I should share it with the blog UNIVERSE.
There are rough times in everyone's life. I wasn't always the beaming ray of sunshine that stands before you now (shocking, I know). In the span of your early teen years to mid-twenties I think the likelihood of trials and tribulations is definitely sky high. I remember times where I had no idea what I was going to do or how life could possibly go on. Or those times where I wasn't unhappy but not overly happy either- life is just kind of..."blah." 
My words of wisdom are as follows:
Understand that things WILL get better and don't be afraid to be selfish. Getting yourself happy and figuring out who YOU are and what you need will lead to bluer skies in the other areas of your life. Don't be afraid to confide in a friend, parent, or even a stranger. Keeping it inside will only make things worse and make your problems deeper. We've all felt alone and helpless, I know I have. But it's important to know that you don't have to settle for mediocracy and you can't be afraid to demand and deserve to be happy. Maybe you need to move away and start over metaphorically or physically. 


My roommate's good friend (who has turned into a good friend of mine) Kelley is picking up and moving her life to Nashville with one of her best friends next month. It's a bold move and we're all super sad to see her go, but at the same time there are points where it takes that kind of leap to gain self fulfillment. I admire you for that, you go girl!


As for me, I feel like coming home after 4 years and dealing with everything I had run away from so many years ago was more of my saving grace moment. It was nice to be removed from life in college, find myself, figure out who I am, and come back a self-assured, better me. I am seriously happier than I've ever been and it's because I've dealt with life obstacles and discovered myself in the process. Luckily, I have amazing friends and family that helped me along the way. 


So for all of my friends, followers, and family members who are going through a tough time, know that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Believe in yourself, and don't let fear dictate who you are, or the potential of what you could be.
Here are some of my favorite "pull myself out of a slump" activities:
- Stay busy- creating a jam packed routine will give you less time to dwell on whatever isn't going right in your life, you will be interacting with people, serving a purpose, and have goals to accomplish each day
- Stay grounded- it's easy to get caught up in everything that is going wrong with you and lose sight of the bigger picture. Go volunteer, or educate yourself about those who are less fortunate (meals on wheels was my go-to in college). I'd bet you that there are so many people who are so much worse off than you who don't have the power to change the situation that they're in. In the end I think we can all say that in the big scheme of things we are pretty darn lucky.
- Exercise- as cliche as it sounds, whenever I have a regular exercise routine I coincidently seem to have higher spirits and a positive attitude as well. Running is how I take out any pent up frustration I might be dealing with, and makes me feel refreshed and in shape when I build up a solid running foundation.
- Take advantage of those around you- it's easy to isolate yourself and internalize your issues when you're feeling low. Put yourself around others even though you'd rather be alone in your bed feeling crummy. Chances are if nothing else, your friends will at least provide a distraction, keep you busy, and help you get right out of that funk you're in!
Alright, that's enough for this long philosophical post. I hope that everyone gets a little something out of it though! I said I was going to end this on a positive note, so in honor of tonight's game....
HOW ABOUT THEM COWBOYS?! ;) Enjoy MNFB tonight everyone! I'm such a fake NFL fan, but who doesn't love to stir things up repping the enemy in DC? Plus, I look super cute in my Romo jersey! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Design By My Aiken Heart